Are you like me? You love the idea of overnight oats but you are not a fan of the texture?
I was so excited about the simplicity of combining dry ingredients haphazardly into a jar and letting the magic happen overnight for a healthy breakfast on the go in the morning. The problem? I really could not get through a single jar of overnight oats, no matter how much honey, maple syrup or fruit I would jam into the jar! Was it texture? Taste? I don’t know. But all that has changed.
Last night I prepared my first ever Chia Breakfast Pudding with as much ease as the Overnight Oats prep and this morning I loved it! I know, Chia seed pudding is not a new phenomenon, but for me it is. I love the simplicity, nutrient richness, getting creative with flavour combinations and I love the taste! The texture is not the same as overnight oats and that was a game changer.
Here is how to prepare the simple base of your Chia Breakfast Pudding:
1) Place 2 cups of milk (dairy, coconut, almond, soya -you choose) into a blender or a bowl.
2) Add some vanilla extract and a little less than ¼ cup of maple syrup. (I say “some” because my beloved bestie and baker extraordinaire Heidi always tells me to not bother measuring vanilla -a splash or two is perfect!)
3) Whisk or blend these liquids.
4) Add ½ cup of dry chia seeds to the mixture and if you want the classic Chia Pudding texture just stir! If you want a smooth creamy pudding texture, blend the seeds into the mix until smooth.
Your base is done! From here get creative -this is the fun bit!
5) Split the mixture into 4 or 5 small jars, making sure the chia seeds split evenly into your jar portions. EDIT: after a few weeks of preparing this breakfast pudding I have now found that it is actually easier to leave the ingredients in one larger container and then in the morning scooping out as much as I need for that breakfast. This ensures that the chia-to-milk ratio remains correct and the consistency of the pudding stays the way it should!
6) You can leave it plain if you like or you can create a breakfast masterpiece:
- Sprinkle some dried coconut flakes, nuts or cinnamon on top!
- Stir or blend in fresh or frozen berries/fruits
- Stir or blend in vanilla Matcha powder for a bright green tea breakfast jar
- Stir or blend in some peanut butter (not my fave, but I’m sure peanut butter lovers will swoon!)
- Stir or blend in some cocoa powder and a little extra maple syrup for a chocolatey breakfast miracle!
- Add a little bit of your favourite protein powder
7) Seal the jar(s) and place into the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.
8) Rise and shine and enjoy! If you want to get even more creative, layer a green or berry smoothie on or between layers of the Chia Pudding, or pile fresh fruits on top of your creation.
See the beautiful creations I stumbled upon below:
Have a great day everyone, and start tomorrow off right with a Chia Breakfast Pudding!
What do you think of the recipe? Do you like Chia Breakfast Pudding too? What variations do you make to keep the recipe exciting?