Warm Lemon Water
I am a girl who craves simplicity, efficiency and a good natural remedy. My routine of warm lemon water in the morning is something that ticks all those boxes and has become a daily necessity. Here are some reasons why I love this fresh tasting, steamy, natural comfort on the regular.
The benefits of warm lemon water:
Kick starts your metabolism, reduces bloating, hydrates and pumps some vitamin C, potassium and fiber into your body first thing after a restful or not so restful night.
Boosts your immune system; you have likely had someone suggest lemon water with honey when you feel a cold or sore throat coming on. Boost that vitamin C intake and soothe the throat with honey and you’re sure to feel better in a jiffy.
It’s an energy boost! Citrus scent is known to stimulate the senses and awaken the body. This drink may help with the morning drowsiness by way of aromatherapy!
The morning bowel movement (I refer to this as the AM-BM, haha!) A regular poop first thing in the morning before exercise, food or caffeine is a good thing! It may seem weird, but go with it.
Clear, radiant skin! Yes, for real. Forget expensive cleansing kits, medication, etc. Add this to your daily routine; you’ll be glad you did! RADIANCE!
How to prepare your daily cup of magic!
1. Wake up & refrain from eating or opting for the espresso grinder -WLW first!
2. Set the kettle to boil.
3. Slice a fresh lemon into wedges. I slice a whole lemon and refrigerate the rest for following mornings.
4. Squeeze one or two wedges of lemon into a mug. Drop the wedges in if you please; you will get more lemony goodness if you do so!
5. Fill the cup 1/3 with cold water from the tap. The reason I recommend this is so that you do not diminish the vitamin content from the lemon by scorching it with boiling water (this happens when you overcook vegetables too!) This also means that you can drink it right away without burning your lips!
6. Fill the cup up the rest of the way with boiling water, stir and enjoy! You should ideally sip it slow and wait a half hour between drinking WLW and eating or drinking anything else. You will get the most out of the lemon water ritual if you do this!
Maybe you’re wondering, why not just leave the tap running until you have warm water and use that for your beverage? Well: 1) That’s a waste! 2) I have tried this and the water doesn’t taste good! Maybe it’s the bubbles, maybe it’s just me. Stick with the boiled water!
You may notice that about 15 minutes after drinking your warm lemon concoction that you may need to have a pretty speedy AMBM! Haha, too much info? Maybe, but this is normal and actually good! Lemon water kick starts your system, and even if you had a few too many drinks the night before, lemon water is perfect for hydrating yourself and getting some necessary vits into ya! (It may also be the only thing you may be able to stomach after a night on the town!)
Reasons NOT to drink WLW
Ulcers or stomach problems. Lemon is acidic after all, so regular consumption of WLW can affect or worsen a pre-existing condition.
Weakened enamel. Acidity can contribute to minor erosion of tooth enamel. If you are concerned by this, talk to your dentist or sip on your warm lemon water with a straw to decrease the contact of lemon to your teeth.
Heartburn or acid reflux. If you are already prone to acid reflux, consumption of additional acidic material may worsen symptoms.
Friends, I LOVE my warm lemon water, and my friends and family who also regularly consume WLW can attest to the benefits. Even if I am away from home, I try to maintain the habit because it starts the day off right!
I encourage you to give this daily routine a try -maybe even for 21 days to make it a lasting habit! WLW is cost effective, easy to prepare and quite comforting as a daily wake up routine.
Have you tried drinking warm lemon water before? Do you have a morning ritual that you cannot do without? Share some love and some of your own tips and tricks below! It would be great to hear from you.
Thanks for stopping by!